Thursday, June 7, 2012

First class trip to Hamburg and Wismar! (June 1-3)



This past week was marked by the visit of my fabulous sister, Theresa. Unfortunately, Theresa arrived in Aarhus after the summer weather passed (see the last post about kayaking in 80 degree weather). However, a little chill in the air wouldn’t stop the two of us from having an excellent time together. Theresa and I started out her visit by making pizza, drinking wine, and just catching up about the last few wild months in both of our lives. It was exactly what I needed… a little sister time. 

Theresa spent her few days in Aarhus walking around town, checking out museums, and enjoying the city’s cafes and cobblestone streets. One evening, we tried out a cute tapas restaurant on my favorite street in the city (Jægergårdsgade) and were entirely smitten with the place. The décor was darling, the service – spectacular, and our food was delicious. I will hopefully be visiting Forlaens & Baglaens (Forwards and Backwards) with other visitors over the coming months.  On Thursday morning, Theresa and I bought some bread to work to share with my co-workers. She was able to check out my office and work digs and meet some of the fantastic people at KEA (the Dept of Clinical Epidemiology). 

 
On Friday morning, Theresa and I made a bee-line for Germany (in the first class train car), her spiritual home, as I like to call it. We spent an afternoon strolling along the water in Hamburg and dining on Mexican food (which is noticeably absent in Aarhus – and I was in dire need) and then hopped on the train again to make it to Wismar by the early evening.



Words cannot describe how beautiful and charming the town of Wismar is. We walked around the cobblestone streets, ate pastries and sipped coffee, watched some traditional dancers and singers perform by the harbor, and retraced her steps when she lived and worked here at the local gymnasium more than 10 years ago.


We dined on some of the most spectacular food I think I have ever experienced. The hotel breakfast was second to none and the wild boar goulash I had at Brouhaus was flavorful and just melted in my mouth.




All in all, our Germany vacation was awesome. It was sad to see Theresa go, but I am just so happy that we were able to share a fun week long adventure together! Thanks for visiting!! 

Oh, and here are a few pictures of the pig bridge. I mean honestly, how cute are these little guys?! 



No comments:

Post a Comment